<meta content="News" name="title" />
- The paper "MIND Demons: Symmetric Diffeomorphic Deformable Registration of MR and CT for Image-Guided Spine Surgery", IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, 35(11):2413-2424, 2016 (doi) (PubMed) is published.
- Dr. A. David Gomez wins the best paper prize at the Computational Biomechanics for Medicine XI Workshop at the 19th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI 2016), Athens, Greece, October 17 - 21, 2016.
- IACL members present papers at the 19th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI 2016), Athens, Greece, October 17 - 21, 2016.
- Dr. Amod Jog presented "Self Super-resolution for Magnetic Resonance Images", as part of the main conference (doi) and "Patch Based Synthesis of Whole Head MR Images: Application to EPI Distortion Correction", at the SASHIMI: Simulation and Synthesis in Medical Imaging Workshop.
- Dr. A. David Gomez presented "Motion Estimation with Finite-Element Biomechanical Models and Tracking Constraints from Tagged MRI", at the Computational Biomechanics for Medicine XI Workshop and "Incompressible Phase Registration for Motion Estimation from Tagged Magnetic Resonance Images", Reconstruction and Analysis of Moving Body Organs (RAMBO 2016) Workshop.
- Dr. Jerry L. Prince presented the keynote lecture "Patches and pulse sequences for MR image intensity normalization", at the 2nd International Workshop on Patch-based Techniques in Medical Imaging (Patch-MI).
- The papers "Temporal filtering of longitudinal brain magnetic resonance images for consistent segmentation", NeuroImage: Clinical, 11:264-275, 2016 (doi) and "Consistent Cortical Reconstruction and Multi-atlas Brain Segmentation", NeuroImage, 138:197-210, 2016 (doi) are published.
- The paper "Estimation of fiber orientations using neighborhood information", Medical Image Analysis, 32:243-256, 2016 (doi) is published.
- The paper "A multivariate nonlinear mixed effects model for longitudinal image analysis: Application to amyloid imaging", NeuroImage, 134:658-670, 2016 (doi) is published.
- Drs. Zhen Yang, Fangxu Xing, and Amod Jog celebrate their hooding ceremony as part of receiving their PhDs with Jerry L. Prince.
- Paper submission for the MICCAI Workshop SASHIMI: Simulation and Synthesis in Medical Imaging is open. The workshop is focussed on the development of synthetic data with known ground truth to help develop, evaluate, and validate image analysis and reconstruction algorithms.
- Andrew Lang presents his paper titled "Intensity inhomogeneity correction of macular OCT using N3 and retinal flatspace" at the 13th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2016), Prague, Czech Republic, April 13 - 16, 2016.
- Andrew Lang is short-listed for the Robert F. Wagner All Conference Best Student Paper for his work titled "Combined registration and motion correction of longitudinal retinal OCT data" at SPIE Medical Imaging (SPIE-MI 2016).
- IACL members present papers at the SPIE Medical Imaging (SPIE-MI 2016) meeting in San Diego, CA, February 27 - March 3, 2016.
- Andrew Lang presented "Combined registration and motion correction of longitudinal retinal OCT data".
- Ke Li presented "Quality Assurance using Outlier Detection on an Automatic Segmentation Method for the Cerebellar Peduncles".
- Mazy Abulnaga presented "A toolbox to visually explore cerebellar sub-structure shape changes in cerebellar ataxia".
- Zhen Yang presented "Landmark Based Shape Analysis for Cerebellar Ataxia Classification and Structural Change Pattern Visualization".
- Can Zhao presented "Effects of Spatial Resolution on Image Registration".
- Jeff Glaister presented "Thalamus parcellation using multi-modal feature classification and thalamic nuclei priors".
- Bhavna Antony presented "Voxel Based Morphometry in Optical Coherence Tomography: Validation & Core Findings" and "Simultaneous Segmentation of Retinal Surfaces and Microcystic Macular Edema in SDOCT Volumes".
- presented "Segmentation and labeling of the ventricular system in normal pressure hydrocephalus using patch-based tissue classification and multi-atlas labeling"
- Other accepted papers at SPIE-MI 2016 coming from collaborations with IACL.
- With colleagues at Hopkins "Segmentation of Thalamus from MR images via Task-Driven Dictionary Learning".
- With colleagues at Vanderbilt "Combining Multi-atlas Segmentation with Brain Surface Estimation" and "Improving cerebellar segmentation with statistical fusion".
- Jerry L. Prince delivers a memorial for Dr. Lee Rosen at SPIE 2016. Dr. Lee Allen Rosen passed away in October 2015.
- Medical Image Recognition, Segmentation and Parsing edited by S. Kevin Zhou is published by Elsevier. It features Chapter 12: An Overview of the Multi-Object Geometric Deformable Model Approach in Biomedical Imaging by Aaron Carass and Jerry L. Prince.
Jerry L. Prince to be Inducted into the Medical and Biological Engineering Elite
WASHINGTON, D.C.— The American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) has announced the pending induction of Jerry L. Prince, Ph.D., William B. Kouwenhoven Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering/Whiting School of Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, to its College of Fellows. Dr. Prince was nominated, reviewed, and elected by peers and members of the College of Fellows for outstanding contributions to biomedical imaging and image analysis.
The College of Fellows is comprised of the top two percent of medical and biological engineers in the country. The most accomplished and distinguished engineering and medical school chairs, research directors, professors, innovators, and successful entrepreneurs, comprise the College of Fellows.
A formal induction ceremony will be held during AIMBE’s 25th Annual Meeting at the National Academy of Sciences Great Hall in Washington, DC on April 4, 2016. Dr. Prince will be inducted along with 160 colleagues who make up the AIMBE College of Fellows Class of 2016.
- The lab celebrates the Holiday Season by blowing some glass ornaments.
|Glass Blowing Christmas Ornaments|
- Fangxu Xing defends his thesis titled "Three Dimensional Tissue Motion Analysis from Tagged Magnetic Resonance Imaging". Dr. Xing will be joining Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, starting December 15th.
- Zhen Yang defends her thesis titled "Cerebellar Structure Segmentation and Shape Analysis with Application to Cerebellar Ataxia". Dr. Yang will be joining Google in Menlo Park, California, starting November 1st.
- Murat Bilgel's paper "Deformation field correction for spatial normalization of PET images" appears in NeuroImage. (doi)
- Aaron Carass presents "Longitudinal Patch-Based Segmentation of Multiple Sclerosis White Matter Lesions" at the Machine Learning in Medical Imaging (MLMI 2015) workshop in Munich, Germany.
- The paper "MRBrainS challenge: Online Evaluation Framework for Brain Image Segmentation in 3T MRI Scans" appears in Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience. (doi)
- Jerry Prince presented "Temporal trajectory and progression score estimation from voxelwise longitudinal imaging measures: Application to amyloid imaging" at IPMI 2015.
- An article describing the EchoSure Project developed by Sonavex (appears in the JHU Engineering Magazine).
- Andrew Lang presented his poster "Automated segmentation of macular SD-OCT scans of retinitis pigmentosa patients shows regional patterns of foveal inner retinal thickening that correlate with visual function" at ARVO 2015 in Denver, Colorado.
- Snehashis Roy's paper "Subject Specific Sparse Dictionary Learning for Atlas Based Brain MRI Segmentation" appears in the IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. (doi)
- Jeff Glaister presented "Probabilistic Fiber Tracking using a Modified Lasso Bootstrap Method" at ISBI 2015 in Brooklyn, New York.
- The Longitudinal Multiple Sclerosis Lesion Segmentation Challenge took place as part of ISBI with ten teams presenting their work on the Challenge day.
- The paper S. Roy, W.-T. Wang, A. Carass, J.L. Prince, J.A. Butman, and D.L. Pham, "PET Attenuation Correction Using Synthetic CT from Ultrashort Echo-Time MR Imaging", Jrnl. of Nuclear Medicine, 55:1-7, 2014 (doi) wins the Alavi-Mandell Publication Award from the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI).
- Registration for the Longitudinal Multiple Sclerosis Lesion Segmentation Challenge closes. The Challenge is a collaboration between the IACL Lab, the Henry M. Jackson Foundation, the Max Plank Institute, and the University of Iceland, and takes place as part of the 12th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2015) in New York on April 16th, 2015. 34 Teams registered for the Challenge coming from 15 different countries, representing 27 different institutions/universities.
- Alessandro Asoni wins a poster prize at SPIE-MI 2015 in Orlando, Florida.
- IACL members presented papers for the Proceedings of SPIE Medical Imaging (SPIE-MI 2015), Orlando, FL, February 21-26, 2015.
- Alessandro Asoni presented "B-Mode ultrasound pose recovery via surgical fiducial segmentation and tracking".
- Andrew Lang presented "Longitudinal graph-based segmentation of macular OCT using fundus alignment".
- Gunnar Sigurdsson presented "Interpretable exemplar-based shape classification using constrained sparse linear models".
- Emily Swingle presented "Segmentation of microcystic macular edema in Cirrus OCT scans with an exploratory longitudinal study".
- Amod Jog presented "Multi-output decision trees for lesion segmentation in multiple sclerosis".
- Fangxu Xing presented "Relating speech production to tongue muscle compressions using tagged and high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging".
- Min Chen presented "Using image synthesis for multi-channel registration of different image modalities".
- Amod Jog's paper "MR Image Synthesis by Pulse Sequence Information-based Contrast Learning On Neighborhood Ensembles" appears in Medical Image Analysis. (doi)
- Andrew Lang's paper "Automatic segmentation of microcystic macular edema in OCT" appears in Biomedical Optics Express. (doi)
- Chuyang Ye successfully defends his PhD thesis titled "Fiber Tracking and Fiber Tract Segmentation Using Diffusion Tensor Imaging".
- Min Chen successfully defends his PhD thesis titled "Deformable Image Registration in the Analysis of Multiple Sclerosis".
- Details are made available about the 2015 Longitudinal Multiple Sclerosis Lesion Segmentation Challenge which will be held as part of the International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging. The challenge will involve teams applying their automatic lesion segmentation algorithms to MR neuroimaging data acquired at multiple time points from patients with multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Jerry L. Prince will be speaking at the University of Utah on Friday, November 14, 2014. The topic will be "Medical Image Synthesis Methods and Applications".
- http://expo.tedco.md/). Conference participants -- including newly elected Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan -- had the opportunity to try the live EchoFind software demo themselves. Even first-time ultrasound users were able to accurately navigate the test phantom and the team received tremendous positive feedback on their successful demonstration.
- The IACL Lab in association with collaborators at the Henry M. Jackson Foundation, the Max Plank Institute, and the University of Iceland will be organizing the Longitudinal Multiple Sclerosis Lesion Segmentation Challenge as part of the 12th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2015), New York, NY, April 16 - 19, 2015.
- has his last day in the IACL Lab.
- Determining Functional Units of Tongue Motion via Graph-regularized Sparse Non-negative Matrix Factorization"' at MICCAI 2014. (doi) presented "
- Joshua V. Stough presented his collaboration with IACL "Automatic method for thalamus parcellation using multi-modal feature classification" at MICCAI 2014. (doi)
- Zhen Yang presented "Deep Learning for Cerebellar Ataxia Classification and Functional Score Regression" in the Machine Learning in Medical Imaging workshop at MICCAI 2014. (doi)
- (doi) presented "Subject Specific Sparse Dictionary Learning for Atlas Based Brain MRI Segmentation" in the Machine Learning in Medical Imaging workshop at MICCAI 2014.
- Murat Bilgel presented "Deformation Field Correction for Spatial Normalization of PET Images Using a Population-Derived Partial Least Squares Model" in the Machine Learning in Medical Imaging workshop at MICCAI 2014. (doi)
- Chuyang Ye presented "A Bayesian Approach to Distinguishing Interdigitated Muscles in the Tongue from Limited Diffusion Weighted Imaging" as part of the BAMBI Workshop at MICCAI 2014. (doi)
- IACL receives a 2014 NIH Grant for Segmentation and Registration of Macular SD-OCT with applications to Multiple Sclerosis.
- JHU Engineering magazine article describing our research understanding multiple sclerosis using optical coherence tomography:
- Min Chen's paper "Analysis of macular OCT images using deformable registration" appears in Biomedical Optics Express. (doi)
- Amod Jog presents two talks at the 11th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2014), Beijing, China, April 28 - May 2, 2014.
- Random Forest FLAIR reconstruction from T1, T2, and PD-weighted MRI
- Improving Magnetic Resonance Resolution with Supervised Learning
- Jerry L. Prince's book Medical Imaging Signals and Systems 2/E is released.
- The video and presentation from Fangxu Xing's 2013 MICCAI talk, titled "3D Tongue Motion from Tagged and Cine MR Images", is now available.
- Aaron Carass' paper "Multiple-object geometric deformable model for segmentation of macular OCT" appears in Biomedical Optics Express. (doi)
- IACL members presented papers for the Proceedings of SPIE Medical Imaging (SPIE-MI 2014), San Diego, CA, February 15-20, 2014.
- Andrew Lang presented "An adaptive grid for graph-based segmentation in macular cube OCT".
- Gunnar Sigurdsson presented "Smoothing fields of weighted collections with applications to diffusion MRI processing".
- Emily Swingle presented "Microcystic macular edema detection in retina OCT images".
- Snehashis Roy presented "MR to CT registration of brains using image synthesis" and "Example based lesion segmentation".
- Min Chen's paper "Automatic Magnetic Resonance Spinal Cord Segmentation with Topology Constraints for Variable Fields of View" appears in NeuroImage. (doi)
- Snehashis Roy's paper "Magnetic Resonance Image Example Based Contrast Synthesis" appears in IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging. (doi)
- Aaron Carass presents "Atlas Based Intensity Transformation of Brain MR Images" at the MBIA workshop as part of MICCAI 2013. (doi)
- Fangxu Xing presents "3D Tongue Motion from Tagged and Cine MR Images" at MICCAI 2013. (doi) The video and presentation of his talk are available here.
- Andrew Lang's paper "Retinal layer segmentation of macular OCT images using boundary classification" appears in Biomedical Optics Express. (doi)
- John Bogovic presented his paper "Automated Segmentation of the Cerebellar Lobules Using Boundary Specific Classification and Evolution" at the 23rd International Conference on Information Processing in Medical Imaging (IPMI).
- IACL members presented papers at the Tenth IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2013), San Francisco, CA, April 7 - 11, 2013.
- Chuyang Ye presented "Segmentation of the Complete Superior Cerebellar Peduncles using a Multi-object Geometric Deformable Model".
- presented "Patch Based Intensity Normalization of Brain MR Images" and "Longitudinal Intensity Normalization in the presence of Multiple Sclerosis Lesions".
- Amod Jog presented "Magnetic Resonance Image Synthesis through Patch Regression".
- Zhen Yang presented "Covariance shrinking in active shape models with application to gyral labeling of the cerebral cortex".
- Fangxu Xing presented "MRI Analysis of 3D normal and Post-glossectomy Tongue Motion in Speech".
- "Computer modeling may help athletes, soldiers avoid concussions", Johns Hopkins Hub news article mentions new NIH grant awarded to Phil Bayly (Wash U), K.T. Ramesh, and Jerry Prince. (Dzung Pham is also a Co-PI on this grant.)
- IACL members presented papers for the Proceedings of SPIE Medical Imaging (SPIE-MI 2013), Orlando, FL, February 9-14, 2013.
- Chuyang Ye presented "Parcellation of the thalamus using diffusion tensor images and a multi-object geometric deformable mode".
- Zhen Yang presented "Automatic cell segmentation in fluorescence images of confluent cell monolayers using multi-object geometric deformable model".
- Min Chen presented "Voxel-wise displacement as independent features in classification of multiple sclerosis"
- Amod Jog presented "Pulse sequence based multi-acquisition MR intensity normalization".
- Andrew Lang presented "Segmentation of retinal OCT images using a random forest classifier".
- Murat Bilgel presented "Automated anatomical labeling of the cerebral arteries using belief propagation".
- Nathanael Kuo presented "An intraoperative dynamic dosimetry guidance system for prostate brachytherapy".
- Jerry L. Prince presented paper "Longitudinal intensity normalization of magnetic resonance images using patches".
- Fangxu Xing presented his paper "Estimating 3D tongue motion with MR images" at the Forty-Sixth Asiolomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers in Monterey, California.
- Jerry L. Prince gave the William B. Kouwenhoven Memorial Lecture entitled "24 Years of Tagged Magnetic Resonance Imaging at Johns Hopkins". He was invited by Jin Kang, Chair of ECE, and introduced by Russell H. Taylor. Watch a video of the talk on YouTube.
- Bruno Jedynak presented his work "A time-change method for computing an Alzheimer's disease progression score" at the Novel Imaging Biomarkers for Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders (NIBAD'12) workshop at the 15th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI 2012), Nice, France, October 1-5, 2012.
- Jerry L. Prince won the "Enduring Impact Award" for 2012 from the MICCAI Society. The award was presented at the MICCAI conference in Nice, France.
- Three IACL members presented papers at the Ninth IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2012), Barcelona, Spain, May 2 - 5, 2012.
- Sahar Soleimanifard presented "Vessel centerline tracking and boundary segmentation in coronary MRA with minimal manual interaction".
- Zhen Yang presented her paper "Automatic sulcal curve extraction with MRI based shape prior".
- Chuyang Ye presented his work "Fully automated segmentation of the dentate nucleus using diffusion weighted images".
- IACL members gave several presentations for the Proceedings of SPIE Medical Imaging (SPIE-MI 2012), San Diego, CA, February 4-9, 2012.
- Fangxu Xing presented "Finding seeds for segmentation using statistical fusion".
- presented "Incorporation of prior knowledge for region of change imaging from sparse scan data in image-guided surgery".
- presented "Super-resolution reconstruction for tongue MR images".
- Zhen Yang presented "Simultaneous cortical surface labeling and sulcal curve extraction".
- Chuyang Ye presented "Labeling of the cerebellar peduncles using a supervised Gaussian classifier with volumetric tract segmentation".
- Two IACL members attended the IEEE Workshop on Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis (MMBIA 2012), Breckenridge, CO, January 9, 2012.
- Xinyang Liu presented "Topology preserving brain tissue segmentation using graph cuts".
- Chuyang Ye presented "A fiber tracking method guided by volumetric tract segmentation".
- Jerry Prince was honored as a "Fellow of the MICCAI Society", which he received at the MICCAI Conference in Toronto, Canada.
- IPMI 2011), Monastery Irsee, Germany, July 3-8, 2011. wins the best poster award at the 22nd Conference on Information Processing in Medical Imaging (
- Yuanming Suo wins the Northern Digital Inc. Excellence Awards for his work on Semiautomatic segmentation of speech articulators using MRI.
- At the Eighth IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI 2011), Chicago, IL, March 30 - April 2, 2011.
- Min Chen presented the talk https://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/images/icons/acroread.png Topology Preserving Automatic Segmentation of the Spinal Cord in Magnetic Resonance Images.
- Navid Shiee presented the poster https://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/images/icons/acroread.png Fiber tractography and tract segmentation in multiple sclerosis lesions.
- Snehashis Roy presented the poster https://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/images/icons/acroread.png Compressed Sensing Based Intensity Non-Uniformity Correction.
- At the Proceedings of SPIE Medical Imaging (SPIE-MI 2011), Orlando, FL, February 12-17, 2011.
- Min Chen recently attended the NAMIC 2010 summer project week to help integrate SPECTRE as a Slicer3 extension.
- John Bogovic presented "Topology-Preserving STAPLE" at the IEEE Workshop on Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis (MMBIA 2010), San Francisco, California, June 14, 2010.
- Min Chen presented several posters from the lab at the 16th Annual Meeting of the Organization for Human Brain Mapping (HBM 2010), Barcelona, Spain, June 6-10, 2010.
- Jerry Prince gave three 2-hour lectures at the IEEE EMBS International Summer School on Biomedical Imaging in Berder, France, 18-26 June 2010.